Cushaw Pecan Pie
Pie recipe adapted from recipe on Thanksgiving card from our local food bank
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 cup cushaw puree
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup honey
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter (dairy or non-dairy)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Pie recipe adapted from recipe on Thanksgiving card from our local food bank
- Slightly beat one egg. In a medium-sized bowl, mix egg, cushaw puree, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and pumpkin pie spice well. Pour into unbaked gluten-free pie crust.
- Beat remaining two eggs. In same medium-sized bowl which you just emptied, add eggs, honey, ½ cup granulated sugar, butter, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in pecans. Spoon over cushaw mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is set. Cool. Top with Cinnamon Honey Whipped Cream, if desired.
While I love crustless when it comes to pies, for this recipe I used a press-in pie crust recipe that I like. Pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin can be used in place of the cushaw puree in this recipe. If you would like to make this recipe sugar free, coconut or palm sugar may be substituted for the granulated sugar, but you may want to reduce the amount slightly as coconut/palm sugar offers a richer taste.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/cushaw-pecan-pie/