Today I pulled out my crock pot and loaded it up with cube steaks. I bought a big pack at BJ’s and decided to cook them all at once. I’m freezing what we didn’t use for a quick dinner another night.
Cube steaks are often served with gravy. I didn’t have time to make cream of mushroom soup to put in the crock pot, so I made gravy after it finished cooking. Besides the flavor and texture it adds, I think the gravy makes the steaks look more appetizing.
Cube Steaks - Slow Cooker
Yield 6 -8
- 6 cube steaks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- seasoned salt or other seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- sliced mushrooms
- sweet rice flour, corn starch, or arrowroot starch
- Place the onion slices and about 1/2 c. water in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the steaks in layers putting a little soy sauce, seasoned salt, garlic, and mushrooms on top of each layer.
- Cook on low 6 - 8 hours or high 3 - 4 hours.
- Remove the steaks and onions and any fatty bits.
- Using about 2 Tb. sweet rice flour or 1 1/2 Tb. corn starch for each cup of liquid, whisk the flour/corn starch into 1/2 – 1 c. of cold water.
- Add this mixture to the hot broth and whisk while heating it on high in the crock pot or in a pan on the stove (stove will be faster).
- Heat and stir until it starts to boil then remove from heat and serve over the steaks.
What Can I Eat That’s Gluten-Free? Weekly Carnival:
Please remember to link back here so other people can find everyone’s great ideas.