This cranberry salad is the perfect addition to a Thanksgiving meal. My gluten-free son particularly likes it and asked me to make it for Thursday.
The apples, Asian pears, orange juice, and honey help to balance the tartness of the cranberries. The cinnamon and zest add a touch of flavor. The walnuts add texture and flavor, but you really need to toast them first to bring out their flavor.
We really like Asian pears, and they help to make this a special holiday dish, but if you prefer you can use another type of pear. You could also increase the amount of honey if you would like a sweeter salad.
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 Asian pears, peeled and cored
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Chop the cranberries, apples and pears in a food processor. Move to a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon, juice, zest, and honey and stir well.
- Place in a serving bowl and top with the toasted walnuts.