I recently tried some coconut macaroons from the health food store. I loved them, except they were a little too sweet for my taste. I hadn’t had a macaroon in ages and decided that I needed to make some.
Many coconut macaroon recipes call for sweetened condensed milk. I knew it could be done without that ingredient. This recipe is actually very simple, and requires few ingredient.
You do need to use unsweetened coconut which might require a trip to the health food store. Unsweetened coconut is more fine and dry than sweetened coconut that you find at the regular grocery store.
You can use regular sugar or coconut palm sugar in this recipe. In the photo above, the brown macaroons were made with coconut palm sugar.
Gluten and Dairy Free Coconut Macaroons
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 Tablespoons sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg whites with a fork until foamy.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Form into balls about one tablespoon in size or drop from a round tablespoon sized measuring spoon or cookie dough scoop. I left mine flat on the bottom and rounded on top.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes about 16 macaroons.