Cinnamon Rolls–Gluten & Dairy Free
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free margarine (or butter )
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup almond milk, warm (or cow’s milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 2/3 – 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
For the Glaze
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- about 1 Tablespoon almond milk
- Using a mixer, combine the margarine and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the egg, oil, vanilla, and most of the almond milk. Hold back about 3 tablespoons of the milk.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (yeast through salt) and add to the wet mixture.
- Beat on high about 2 minutes until well mixed with no lumps. The dough will be soft, but should hold together. Add the remaining milk if needed.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap and sprinkle it with sugar. Lay the dough on top and cover it with another piece of plastic wrap.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 13 1/2 inch square. Lift the top piece of plastic wrap often and reposition if necessary. You can spray the wrap with cooking spray if the dough is sticking.
- Combine the filling ingredients. Spread the filling on the dough leaving a margin at one side. As you roll the dough, the filling with get shifted. The margin keeps it from being pushed all the way out at the end.
- Roll the dough by lifting up the plastic wrap. Once you get the roll started, it will roll on its own. Once rolled, smooth out the edge.
- If you want nice clean end pieces, cut a little off each end. I leave them as is.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 8 slices. You can do this by cutting the roll in half, then cut each half in half, then cut the quarters in half.
- Place the rolls in a glass pie dish and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Combine the glaze ingredients. Add the almond milk a teaspoon at a time until the glaze is the right consistency. You can adjust the amount of glaze to your taste.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm rolls and serve.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/cinnamon-rolls-dairy-free/