I have come to love paleo or grain free cookies. They are simple to bake, have a nice texture, and aren’t disgustingly sweet. I suppose I tend to make them a little less sweet (according to one of my kids) than other cookies, but they are plenty sweet for my tastes. And my husband, who eats more sugar than I do, thought they were sweet enough.
So even if you are not grain free, these chocolate chip cookies are a gluten-free winner. Even my son who said they weren’t as sweet as other cookies didn’t pass them up. And he’s a gluten eater.
The “rules” for paleo vary widely, so if you follow the paleo diet, use chocolate chips that meet your requirements. Otherwise, any gluten-free chocolate chips will do. I use ones that are dairy free such as Enjoy Life.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together the shortening and coconut sugar. Add the egg, honey, and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt. Add to the other bowl and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon dipped in cold water to flatten and smooth out the cookies into small discs.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until brown on the edges. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.