For anyone who likes to bake at home, a good chocolate cake recipe is a must. It’s great for birthdays, holidays, parties, and everyday. This gluten-free chocolate cake recipe will not disappoint. It is moist and delicious. It works as a single layer, double layer, or cupcakes.
You can use canned frosting (read the label to be sure it’s gluten free) or make a chocolate frosting. Gluten-free frosting recipes are easy to find with a search. Most frostings are naturally gluten free.
The recipe calls for mayonnaise, which may seem a little odd to some of you, but if you keep in mind that mayo is mostly oil and eggs, it’s not so unusual after all. The batter will be somewhat thick and pudding like.
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch (not flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour or starch
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoonxanthan gum
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup hot water (maybe slightly less)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease cake pans.
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a medium sized bowl (rice flour through cinnamon).
- In your mixer bowl combine sugar, eggs and extracts. Beat several minutes until light.
- On low speed, beat in the mayonnaise.
- Alternate adding the flour mix and water, starting and ending with the flour. Hold back about 2 tablespoons of water. The batter should be thick and fluffy. Add the remaining water if needed.
- Spread into two round greased cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch greased pan.
- Bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.