This meal is delicious as is, but if you eat soy, you might enjoy soy sauce added to it. I am on a soy free diet, and my family doesn’t particularly like soy sauce so I didn’t use any. My husband is not a big fan of fruit such as pineapple with his meat (poultry), but I sneak it in occasionally. He didn’t mind it too much in this dish and the kids really enjoyed it. It surprised me how much flavor a little canned pineapple added. It was definitely nice for a change.
This recipe is perfect for using leftover chicken. You can use white or dark meat or a combination of both. I used thighs for the recipe in the photo. I served this over a mix of rice and quinoa. It wasn’t the best combination with red quinoa, and next time I will serve it with brown rice or pasta.
Chicken, Vegetable, & Pineapple Skillet Meal
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cups crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes with juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the onion, pepper and garlic. Sauté until tender.
- Add the chicken and heat through.
- Add the tomatoes and pineapple and heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the cold water and slowly pour it into the skillet, stirring constantly.
- Cook a couple of minutes until hot and slightly thickened.
- Serve with rice.