This recipe was delicious and a real hit with my kids (remember, I have teens, not little kids). Apparently Olive Garden makes a chicken scampi which you can find copy cat recipes for online. Those recipes, however, include a white sauce that is added to the scampi sauce. I chose not to do that, simply for the sake of saving time. Having eaten it without the white sauce, I have absolutely no desire to try the recipe with it. It didn’t need anything else in our opinions.
While omitting the white sauce cut down and preparation time and the number of pieces to think about, this is not what I would call an easy recipe. I had it ready in about 45 minutes, but I was constantly working on one or more parts. For that reason, I have written the directions to try and help you know what order to go in so that the things that take the most time get started first.
- 16 ounces gluten-free spaghetti (I used Tinkyada)
- 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance stick margarine or butter
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup white cooking wine (or dry white wine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons oil or butter
- Heat a large pot of salted water for cooking your pasta.
- Melt the margarine or butter in a medium sauce pan. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning, wine, broth, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- When the water boils, add your pasta, cook, drain, and place in a warm bowl.
- While the scampi sauce is simmering, slice the onion and pepper in thin slices.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet and sauté the onion and pepper until tender.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips.
- When they are done, remove the onion and pepper strips to a bowl.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and add the chicken strips. Cook and turn until the meat is cooked through.
- After the scampi sauce is done simmering, pour it over the pasta and toss to coat.
- Place the onions, pepper, and chicken on a serving plate. Serve on top of the pasta
For more great recipes (not all but many are gluten free) visit Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.