I originally posted this recipe five years ago. When I made it recently and was reminded of how much my husband loves it, I decided to get some new pictures and share it with you again. It’s a great way to enjoy brown rice versus having to cook it for a long time on the stove top.
This slow cooker chicken and brown rice uses homemade gluten-free cream of chicken soup and is flavored with real onion and herbs instead of onion soup mix. It’s an easy way to cook brown rice and the chicken turns out very tender.
Years ago I used a chicken and rice recipe similar to this that cooked in the oven. It contained white rice, canned condensed soup, and onion soup mix. This version is still a delicious, filling recipe that my guys enjoy.
I used poultry seasoning, but feel free to try different seasoning that appeals to you. It’s very difficult to give cooking instructions for slow cooker recipes because depending on the age, brand, and size of your slow cooker the cooking time and temperature will vary. If you have cooked chicken in your cooker before, you should have an idea of how long it needs to cook at a given setting.
Chicken & Brown Rice (Slow Cooker)
- 1 recipe gluten-free cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth (make sure it’s gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (or 1 Tablespoon granulated onion)
- 3-4 chicken breast halves, 2 1/2 – 3 pounds (I used boneless and skinless)
- In a medium sized pot prepare the cream of chicken soup.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chicken broth, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker and add the brown rice and onion.
- Pour most of the soup mixture over the rice, reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice and pour the remaining soup over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.