This delicious recipe employs two simple techniques that I find produce a nice and moist baked chicken. The first is pounding the chicken and the second is breading it.
Chicken breasts are often thicker on one end than on the other which means they don’t get evenly cooked. Pounding chicken breasts eliminates this problem and thins the whole chicken breast so that it cooks more quickly.
Breading chicken helps to seal in the juices and keeps the meat moist. I first dip it in beaten egg before coating it with bread crumbs. The egg helps the bread crumbs to stick well and also helps to seal in moisture.
This recipe includes a garlic sauce which adds complimentary flavor to the chicken, but you might also enjoy it on other parts of your meal. I serve the sauce separately in a bowl for people to spoon onto their chicken if they desire.
Chicken Breasts with Garlic Sauce
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 large)
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- Garlic Sauce:
- 2Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Place the chicken breasts (one at a time) in a freezer bag or empty gluten-free cereal bag. Close and pound the breast with the smooth side of a meat mallet or other smooth hard surface. Pound until the breast is 3/4 inches thick. Cut each breast in half.
- Combine the bread crumbs, salt and pepper and place them on a plate or pie dish.
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Dip the chicken breast pieces in the egg, coating both sides, then place in the bread crumbs and coat.
- Put the breaded chicken in a greased baking dish (9 x 13 inches works for 6 pieces). Bake at 375° for 30 – 40 minutes or until done.
- For the Sauce: In a small sauce pan, melt the butter or margarine. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the cooking wine and heat to boiling.
- Combine the corn starch and water and whisk it into the pan. Boil another minute or two. Remove from heat and serve over the chicken.