This gluten-free chicken and broccoli chowder is a favorite soup at our house. It can easily be made dairy-free, and it’s a great way to use leftover chicken. Many picky eaters like broccoli making this a family-friendly meal.
I usually make this soup after I have roasted a chicken and made stock from the carcass. I use the leftover chicken pieces and stock, and the remaining soup ingredients I usually have on hand.
I have found that chowders like this one work great with almond milk. My family never notices the difference. Feel free to use regular milk or some other milk substitute.
Chicken and Broccoli Chowder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 10 - 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon butter or dairy free margarine
- 1 cup cold almond milk (or regular milk)
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup water or milk (almond or regular)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the chicken broth to boiling in a large pot.
- In a skillet, melt the butter or margarine and sauté the onion and celery until soft. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Add the broccoli to the boiling broth along with the sautéed vegetables. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until the broccoli is just tender.
- Mix together the cold milk and rice flour. Add to the soup and stir. Heat to boiling and boil for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, 1 cup water or milk, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Heat until hot through.