California Pilaf can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top. It is easy to make, well liked, and naturally gluten and dairy free. It also uses common ingredients and is perfect for those evenings when it is time for dinner and you don’t know what to make.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 + 1 / 3 cups raw white rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef and onion.
- Clear space in the center of the skillet and add the garlic. Cook for about one minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Drain the beef mixture and place it in a large pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook until the rice has absorbed the liquid. About 20 minutes.
For a slow cooker, follow steps 1 and 2, then place all ingredients in the crock. Cover and cook on low 6 – 8 hours or high 3 – 4 hours. Keep an eye on it and turn it off when the liquid is absorbed.