Butternut Squash Pancakes
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- oil for skillet
- To prepare the squash, peel it and cut off the ends. Slice it in half lengthwise and then scoop out the seeds with a spoon, scraping it to get all the strings off. Then cut the squash into chunks. I used a small squash which yielded two cups or slightly more of chunks. Steam the squash by using a steamer basket in a pot with water. If you don’t have a basket, just add some water to the bottom of a pot and cook until the squash is tender.
- Remove the squash to a medium size bowl. Mash with a hand masher.
- Add the brown sugar to the squash and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the eggs and beat them into the squash with a fork.
- In a small bowl, combine the millet flour, potato starch, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon, whisking them together.
- Add this to the squash mixture and stir with a large spoon or spatula until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Let sit while you preheat your skillet.
- Use a little oil to coat the bottom of your skillet. Heat it until a drop of pancake batter sizzles on it. Spoon or ladle the batter onto the skillet.
- Cook until bubbles form on the tops of the pancakes, then turn them over and cook for a minute or two more, watching to make sure they don’t burn.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/butternut-squash-pancakes/