Son: “What’s that?”
Husband: “Try it. It’s good. It doesn’t look great, but it’s got sausage and eggs and oatmeal. And it’s good. Try it.”
For a special occasion, I think I would still prefer the one with bread, but from a nutritional standpoint, I prefer this one with gluten-free oats. Not that this one is inferior, it simply has a different texture.
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (non-instant)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk or milk substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350° and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Crumble and cook the sausage until done. Drain.
- Put half of the oats in the bottom of the dish and spread them out evenly.
- Place the crumbled sausage on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining oats over the sausage.
- Combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl, beating them together with a fork. Pour over the sausage and oats in the dish, being sure to cover all the oats.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the casserole is set in the middle.