Bread adds a nice touch to almost any meal, and if you are gluten free, it can be a particularly special treat. These gluten-free breadsticks add that special something. They do require a few ingredients, but they’re pretty easy to make.
I recommend mixing up multiple batches of the dry ingredients at one time. Just set out a row of bowls and measure the flour, starches, gum, onion and garlic powders, salt, and sugar into each bowl. Place the contents of each bowl into an airtight container or bag. Then, the next time you want breadsticks, they will be very easy to put together.
These breadsticks are very similar to my previous recipe, but they are dairy free. Any milk substitute can be used and this recipe does not call for cheese.
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant or bread machine yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk substitute (105°-115°)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Cut 1/2 inch off one corner of a quart size plastic bag.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine the sorghum flour, starches, xanthan gum, onion and garlic powders, salt, sugar, and instant yeast.
- Add the milk substitute, oil, and vinegar and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the dough to the plastic bag, pressing the dough into the cut corner and twisting the bag closed behind the dough. Squeeze the dough onto the baking sheet in 6 inch long ropes.
- Brush the tops with the beaten egg white.
- Place the baking sheet into a cold oven and set the temperature to 400°. Begin timing when the oven is turned on and bake about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
Disclosure: This post contains one or more affiliate links. If you click on a link and buy something, I receive a small percentage of the sale.