- 1 recipe gluten-free French bread (two loaves), cooled and cubed (about 12 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves (about 3 med. stalks)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (I used 1/4 c. clarified butter + 1/4 c. Earth Balance soy free margarine)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Dry out the bread cubes somewhat by placing them in a large rectangular baking dish or jelly roll pan. Put them in the oven for about 15 minutes while preparing the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
- Sauté the onion and celery in the butter until soft.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and combine with all the ingredients, gently tossing to coat well.
- Butter the baking pan or dish that you were using for the bread crumbs. Add the stuffing and bake for 30 minutes.
I baked the bread the same day and let it cool about an hour before cutting. Even after drying the cubes in the oven a little, the bread is still fairly moist. You could bake the bread a day ahead and dry it out more, but additional chicken broth would be required.
Courses Side Dish
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/bread-stuffing/