This recipe is pretty well known, and I’ve seen slightly different versions of it. But it’s worth posting for anyone who hasn’t come across it because it is one of my family’s favorites.
We have given these bread balls our own name based on a word one of my kids invented when he was two. We call them cheese pacos (pronounced like taco).
Brazilian Bread Balls
- 2 cups tapioca starch or flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated hard cheese (such a Parmesan or sharp cheddar)
- Place the tapioca starch in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the oil, water, milk, and salt in a small saucepan until white foam appears.
- Immediately add it to the tapioca starch and stir with a wooden spoon. Let rest about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs and cheese.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until top begins to brown. I bake them about 20-25 min. on stoneware. You can vary the cooking length to make them crispier (more time) or softer (less time).