This Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Soup combines carrots, mushrooms, and corn with chunks of beef for a delicious and filling meal that’s great for a chilly evening.
My family enjoys it, and it’s perfect for this time of year, which is why I’m republishing this recipe from six years ago.
My family likes corn added to a soup, and even though my husband is not a fan of mushrooms I gave it a shot anyway. Sometimes I cut them in slices that he can easily pick out of a recipe. But this time I cut them small hoping he wouldn’t notice. He did notice, but it’s mainly the texture he doesn’t like and so he didn’t mind the small pieces.
So in the end, my whole family enjoyed this recipe and I’ll be making it again for sure.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (~4 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 quart (32 ounces) beef broth (be sure it is gluten free)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl or zip lock bag, toss together the stew meat, rice flour, and chili powder until the beef is coated.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on high heat. Add the beef and onion. Keeping the heat high, brown the meat, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the oregano.
- Place the carrots, mushrooms and corn in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the beef and onions on top. Pour the broth over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can make this grain free by omitting the rice flour or using tapioca or arrowroot starch and omitting the corn.You can skip browning the meat if you're short on time, but it's usually best to cook the onions a little if you want them soft.