The weather has gotten warmer so I’m using the oven less. This is a stovetop meal that is really simple, but is just the kind of thing my family loves.
I started by cooking the brown rice in the afternoon. Even using the pressure cooker, I often find I don’t have time to cook brown rice at dinner time. Doing it in the afternoon ensures that we have a healthier meal. My family prefers brown rice cooked in chicken or vegetable broth, but I forgot to do that. It ended up not being a problem since I wasn’t serving the rice by itself. The other ingredients added enough flavor.
Beef & Rice Dinner
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (I used basmati)
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 medium mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- Cook the rice.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and drain the fat. Remove the beef to a bowl.
- Add a little olive oil to the skillet and sauté the onions.
- When the onions are about half done, add the mushrooms. Sauté until tender.
- Move the onions and mushrooms aside and add the garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add everything to the rice and toss to combine the ingredients.
I considered adding a can of diced tomatoes, but decided not to. Peppers would be a tasty addition to this recipe. The asparagus I sautéed in butter until tender but crisp.