This month the Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free carnival is being hosted by Shirley at gluten-free easily. Her theme is “dishes so simple, no recipe required.” The slow cooker is one of those appliances that makes no-recipe dishes a cinch. You can now view Shirley’s round up. You’re sure to be inspired!
This isn’t the type of meal that I prepare very often in the summer, but by mid summer I’m often ready for it as a change from summer fare. Of course, in cooler weather, it’s the kind of hot meal just about everyone will enjoy.
Cheaper cuts of meat such as chuck roasts do well in the slow cooker. The long cooking time makes them tender. You can also cook a chuck roast without the vegetables and shred the meat for tacos or sandwiches.
Beef and Vegetables–Slow Cooker
- Onion, sliced
- Potatoes, scrubbed and cut in large chunks
- Carrots, peeled and sliced
- Chuck Roast
- Water, broth or wine
- Garlic, minced
- Place the onions, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- On the stove, brown the chuck roast in a hot oiled skillet.
- Place the browned roast on top of the vegetables.
- Pour about 1 cup of liquid over top of everything.
- Add garlic, rosemary, and pepper on top of beef.
- Cover and cook on low 6 - 8 hours or high 3 - 4 hours.