This slow cooked beans and bacon recipe is a variation of Spicy Western Beans. It came about when I didn’t have all the right ingredients for that recipe, and it turned out great.
My kids usually do not like lentils at all, but they never notice them in this type of dish. Everyone enjoyed this, and this a great meal to warm you up on a cold winter afternoon or evening. That’s why I’m sharing it for this month’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free carnival. It’s being hosted by Alta of Tasty Eats at Home, and the theme is comfort foods.
- 1/3 cup lentils
- 12 strips bacon, fried and cut in pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can small red beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Boil the lentils in 1 1/3 cups water for 20-30 minutes. Drain.
- Cook the bacon and cut in pieces.
- Chop the onion and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.