One evening last week I had a craving for macaroni and cheese. It is such a comfort food, but not one I’m in the mood for very often. I had seen a couple of good looking recipes recently, but I only wanted it made one way – like Mom’s. What is more comforting than eating a tasty dish your mom has made for years?
Mom doesn’t have an exact recipe, so I had to come up with the amounts. Sadly, I forgot the butter. It was still good, but didn’t taste quite the same. I think Mom usually uses more butter than what I put in the recipe, but it doesn’t take much to give it that buttery flavor. You could cut back on it or leave it out as I did if you’re concerned about the calories, but remember it is macaroni and cheese.
As for the pasta, macaroni is one of my least favorite shapes. I love penne, but decided to use spirals this time. I used Tinkyada brand (as always), but any gluten-free pasta should work well.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 8 ounces evaporated milk (regular or milk substitute will work too)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray or butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package instructions.
- Combine the milk and eggs.
- Put half the pasta in the dish.
- Drizzle half the butter over the pasta, then half the milk mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put half the shredded cheese on top.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.