Bacon and eggs are two of my favorite foods, and putting them together is a treat I would enjoy whether I was gluten-free or not. This is just another recipe that proves the fact that there are many delicious and naturally gluten free foods.
Appetizers are not a strength for me, and until recently I hadn’t made a nice appetizer since going dairy free. So when I needed one the other week, I started looking up recipes. I decided I wanted something with protein in it since it would likely be the only appetizer I would be able to eat at this event. I also thought something with bacon would be popular and began my search with that.
I honestly don’t remember where I found the recipe that inspired this dip, but it is basically an egg salad with bacon added to it. I simply made it slightly more moist than my usual egg salad. It can be served with gluten-free crackers or even a sturdy chip. I used rice chips for some of it.
It turned out to be a real winner when I served it. There were wheat crackers out with the other appetizers and some people put it on that instead of the rice chips. That was okay because I kept some of the dip in a separate container that I could use without worrying about contamination. Here’s a picture of it on gluten-free crackers.
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Hard boil the eggs, cool and peel. You can read about how I cook mine in this deviled eggs recipe.
- Dice the eggs small. I do this by slicing them with an egg slicer one direction, then turning the egg 45 degrees and slicing again. I then run a knife through a couple times lengthwise. That might not make complete sense, but the idea is to dice the egg into small pieces.
- Cook and drain the bacon then crumble or cut into pieces.
- Combine the vinegar, mustard, salt, mayonnaise, and water. Add to the eggs and bacon in a large bowl.
- Gently mix together with a spatula.
- Transfer to a smaller bowl and serve with gluten-free crackers.