The following is a guest post from my friend Heather of Gluten-Free Cat.
Summer is the perfect time for cold soups. They’re cool and refreshing, easy to make, packed with healthy ingredients, and can be served from fridge to bowl in a matter of seconds. Here’s one of my favorite cold creamy soups: avocado spinach soup.
I love to serve this soup in homemade gluten-free bread bowls. You can visit my original post for a tutorial on creating mini bread bowls to learn how. But this soup also tastes great on its own garnished with tomato, cilantro, and a touch of freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 avocados
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (save a few for garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teasooon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water (or more for thinner soup)
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Place the avocados through cayenne pepper in a blender. Slowly add a cup of water and blend until smooth. Add more water if you like a thinner soup.
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves, chopped tomato, and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.
- Serves 12 as appetizers or 4-6 as a meal.
So get blending and enjoy your summer!
Here are two other cold summer soups that you might enjoy:
Heather is a kindergarten teacher by day and a fitness instructor and blogger by night. She writes about healthy, gluten-free living and shares gluten-free, raw, and vegan recipes at her blog Gluten-Free Cat.