While pumpkin is a fall favorite, and I have several pumpkin recipes to share with you in the weeks to come, apple is a favorite fall food as well. This Apple Pie Smoothie is dairy free and paleo friendly, but everyone will enjoy it. Serve it with breakfast or lunch or as a snack, and feel free to add in any of your favorite smoothie ingredients.
I drink smoothies regularly because they’re an easy and delicious way to enjoy fruits and vegetables. Any blender should work for this recipe, but I love my Blendtec blender. It’s a high speed blender that gets your smoothie really smooth (no bits and chunks floating around). If you don’t have one, you might consider putting it on your Christmas list!
Apple Pie Smoothie
Yield 2 servings
- 2 cups coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 medium sized frozen banana, sliced
- 1 small or half of a large apple ( select a sweeter variety like Gala, Fuji or Red Delicious), peeled, cored, and chopped
- 4 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (see note)
- A handful of ice cubes
- Whipped coconut cream (optional)
- Soak the pitted dates in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the coconut milk, frozen banana, chopped apples, softened dates, and apple pie spice. Blend or process on high till smooth.
- Add the ice cubes and blend well.
- Pour into two tall glasses and serve immediately with whipped coconut cream (optional) and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Instead of apple pie spice, you can use ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon allspice.