With an abundance of zucchini in my garden, I naturally think of making zucchini bread or muffins. However, when the temperature outdoors is well into the 90s and maybe even over 100, I am not willing to turn on my oven.
Last week I got lucky though, and we had a reprieve from the heat. A couple of days were in the 70s with cool morning temperatures. I got busy baking and made four loaves of zucchini bread as well as two bundt cakes.
I used Brenna’s zucchini bread recipe for the cake and baked it in a bundt pan. The recipe includes banana and chocolate and turns out deliciously moist. We ate it without any frosting or glaze.
This zucchini bread is slightly more dry and crumbly than the cake, but not too much. It goes well with a glass of milk (I’m loving Almond Breeze milk) or a scoop of ice cream.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, packed (~1 large)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla on medium high speed for several minutes.
- Add the zucchini and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, starches, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Stir in the nuts. Pour the batter into one sprayed/greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the pans, then transfer to a wire rack.
View Printable Recipe (2 loaves)
This post is part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.