This caramel topping is one of the first recipes I ever posted. In case you hadn’t noticed it in the recipe archives, I thought this was a good time to bring it to your attention. The recipe is not my creation but I don’t think any one person can take credit for it.
What is summer without ice cream, and what is ice cream without toppings? I love caramel, and this caramel topping recipe is easy as well as delicious.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (unopened)
- Warning: You must let the can cool completely before opening it or burns may occur.
- Remove the label from the can of sweetened condensed milk and place it unopened on its side in a heavy saucepan.
- Cover with water at least an inch above the can.
- Bring to a boil using medium high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Check the water level occasionally and add more if needed to keep the can covered.
- Remove from heat, drain the water, and let the can cool completely. It is best to put it in the refrigerator overnight. Warning: If you do not wait until the can is cooled, you could have a hot explosion causing burns and injury. Please be patient.
- Once cooled, open the can and enjoy a thick caramel sauce. To thin the sauce, add a small amount of milk and stir well.