Ice cream is a delicious summer treat to help you cool down, and there are plenty of gluten-free ice cream options available. But ice cream cones are a different matter. Most of us just skip the cone, though there are a few gluten-free versions available, but another option is to make your own cones with this waffle cone recipe.
Today’s recipe (which comes from So Delicious) does require a waffle cone maker. I don’t personally own one, but if I had young kids who really liked having their ice cream in a cone, I would definitely buy one.
When it comes to buying gluten-free ice cream, look for obvious signs of gluten such as chocolate chip cookie dough. Most flavors of most brands are gluten free, but always read the label to be sure. You could also make your own homemade ice cream.
If you’re dairy free, don’t worry. I basically follow the above recipe but use dairy free milk. But you don’t have to make your own. So Delicious has a variety of gluten and dairy free ice cream flavors (even gluten-free versions of cookie dough and cookies ‘n cream!). My absolute favorite is the Salted Caramel Cluster cashew milk ice cream, and below you’ll have an opportunity to win some free product coupons from So Delicious so you can try it for yourself!
Before I get to the recipe, I want to let you know that I’m joining a group of lovely gluten-free bloggers for an Ice Cream Social themed event. Each blogger has a recipe and giveaway to share with you, so be sure to check them all out! You’ll find links below the recipe.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconutmilk Lite
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the melted coconut oil with the culinary coconutmilk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add in the flax seed meal to the wet ingredients, stir, then set aside for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the flour, slowly, mixing with a hand mixer until it resembles a thick and creamy waffle batter.
- Set the heat on yourwaffle cone iron to medium (3 - 4 on our machine).
- Drop about 1 heaping Tablespoon of batter onto your hot, preheated waffle cone iron.
- Check each cone after 1 minute 15 seconds, but it could take up to 2 minutes 30 seconds per cone depending on your machine.
- Remove from the hot surface with tongs and shape quickly with your cone roller on a flas surface.
- Repeat and enjoy with your favorite frozen dessert!
So Delicious Giveaway
You don’t have to be dairy free to enjoy the dairy free ice cream from So Delicious because it really is delicious. One winner will receive 8 free product coupons! Please be sure that you have a store in your area that sells their brand using their Store Finder.
This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older and is open through August 24, 2016. No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
More Ice Cream Social Recipes and Giveaways
Take some time to visit all of the other recipes from our Virtual Ice Cream Social. All are gluten-free, some are dairy-free as well. Each blogger is hosting their own giveaway too!
- Paleo Hot Fudge Sauce by What the Fork Food Blog
- Ice Cream Crunch Bars by Meaningful Eats
- Dairy-Free Mug Brownie Sundae by Gluten Free Palate
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping by My Gluten Free Kitchen
- Peaches & Cream Protein Ice Cream by Making It Milk Free
- No Churn Dairy Free Honey Vanilla Ice Cream by Flippin Delicious
- Ice Cream Sandwich by Vegetarian Mamma
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sherbet by Cafe Johnsonia
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Fudge Waffle Sundaes by Sarah Bakes Gluten Free
- Granola Bar “Fried” Ice cream w/ Creme’ Anglaise by Gluten Free Frenzy