This slow cooked beef gravy with mushrooms is reminiscent of beef Stroganoff but it is gluten and dairy free. I used to love beef stroganoff. However, my husband never loved it and hasn’t missed it since I’ve gone dairy free. I was thinking of Stroganoff recently (and missing it) when I put together this recipe. It is not a dairy free version of stroganoff, but it is a similar type of dish.
My family enjoyed it, and for once, my kids actually put the meat and sauce on the rice. (They always like their rice plain.)
While this is a slow cooker meal, it does require a little advance cooking of the sauce. It’s basically like making your own cream of mushroom soup to add to the pot, except it’s not milk based.
Feel free to add any herbs that your family enjoys with beef.
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 Tablespoons sweet rice flour or 2 Tablespoons corn starch or arrowroot starch
- 6 ounces mushrooms, diced or sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the broth and sweet rice flour or corn starch in a sauce pan.
- Heat over medium high heat, whisking frequently until the sauce is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Sauté the onion until soft. Add the garlic and sauté one minute more.
- Add the onion and garlic, mushrooms, and salt and pepper to the sauce and stir well.
- Place the stew meat in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce on top and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir well before serving over rice or noodles.
More Beef Recipes