This spinach dip has been a favorite of ours for years. It’s one way that my kids really enjoy cooked spinach. When I went dairy free I gave it up, but I would occasionally buy spinach dip for my kids.
Recently, my gluten-free son decided to try going dairy free too. He misses things like cheese and yogurt that make good snack foods. I knew if I could come up with a good dairy free version of this recipe, he would be happy.
I used coconut milk yogurt in place of sour cream and regular yogurt. Although it is plain yogurt, it ads a sweetness to this recipe that it didn’t have before.
My son gave it his approval and was thrilled to have it for a snack with potato chips. Our favorite way to eat it though is with pieces of focaccia bread.
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach or 10 ounces fresh spinach
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¾ cup plain coconut milk yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- Cook and drain the spinach, squeezing out excess water by pressing it against the sides of a colander with a spatula.
- Place the spinach in a bow and snip into it with a pair of kitchen scissors so there are no long stringy pieces of spinach. (Even frozen chopped spinach needs this step.)
- Combine the spinach and the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Chill for two hours or more before serving.