Since I purchased a new crock pot a couple of months ago, I’ve been using it more. Some days it really helps to have most dinner preparation done earlier in the day. This recipe is pretty easy. The time consuming part is chopping vegetables, but that can be done whenever it fits into your schedule, such as the night before.
Chicken breasts have become one of my favorite things to put in the slow cooker. Since I have a large crock I usually cook plenty of it. The leftovers are used for lunches or turned into chicken salad. Feel free to cut this recipe in half, but only if you have a 4 quart cooker.
- 1½ cup sliced mushrooms (use your favorite kind)
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~ 6 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the vegetables and chicken broth in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place the chicken breasts on top.
- Add the garlic, spreading it over the chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle the thyme, basil, salt and pepper over everything.
- Cover and cook on low 6 – 8 hours or high 3 – 4 hours or until the chicken is done.
- Serve with rice, pasta, potatoes, or quinoa.
This post is linked to the following food carnivals. The links there are not necessarily gluten-free, but many are, and others can be converted.