The weather has been cool and rainy here, but that can change quickly, and soon the hot summer weather will be upon us. I turn on my oven as little as possible during those hot months, so I turn more often to stove top meals like this one.
These skillet hummus crusted chicken breasts are easy, moist, and flavorful, and they won’t heat up the whole house. With only 3 ingredients, it’s a perfect gluten-free weeknight dinner.
I used plain hummus for this recipe, and it was delicious. But you could certainly use a flavored hummus such as this roasted red pepper hummus (half a recipe would be enough).
- 1 cup plain hummus (or flavored if you like such as this roasted red pepper hummus)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or other high heat oil
- Cut each chicken breast piece in half (unless they are already small pieces). Pound out the thicker parts so they are the same thickness as the thinner end. This will help it cook faster in the skillet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spread hummus evenly on one side of half the chicken pieces. Place the chicken hummus side down in the skillet. Spread more hummus on the top sides (the back of a spoon works well.)
- Cook 7 - 8 minutes then gently turn each piece over using a spatula. Cook another 7 - 8 minutes or until chicken reaches 165° F in the center. Repeat with the remaining chicken.