I go through phases with some foods. Canned salmon is one of them. I hadn’t used it in a long time, but recently picked some up at the store. Tonight I decided to put it to use and made salmon cakes (recipe below).
I also tried out a new food item for us – Alexia sweet potato julienne fries (frozen). The ingredient list looked safe including modified potato starch and rice flour. My two older kids were not home for dinner so I didn’t get their reaction, but the three of us who ate them thought they were good. In fact, my husband usually does not eat sweet potatoes so I didn’t tell him what they were. He guessed sweet potatoes or carrots by the color and willingly gave them a try. They were a hit, and now I have a way to serve him sweet potatoes!
- 1 can salmon, drained and bones removed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free bread crumbs or gf instant potatoes
- pepper to taste
- coconut or other cooking oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Form into patties (I made five).
- Fry in hot oil until brown on both sides and hot through.
- Serve with Tartar Sauce.
These were a big hit with the kids. One of boys who was not home for dinner had one for lunch the next day and said, “What was that thing I ate? Do you have more?”