This quinoa pilaf uses zucchini, which is in season for most people, and would make a great side dish for a summer (Labor Day) cookout or picnic.
When I first started using quinoa after going free years ago, most people had never heard of it. Lately I’ve been surprised at how often I hear people mention eating it. What you may not know is that quinoa comes in three varieties–white (tan), red, and black. Red is my favorite, but I used a blend of all three in this photo.
- 1 cup quinoa (any variety)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 small zucchini, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Be sure to rinse it first if the directions call for it.
- Heat a large skillet with the butter or olive oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until almost tender.
- Add the zucchini to the skillet and sauté until just tender. Add the garlic and sauté one minute more.
- Add the parsley, salt, and pepper to the vegetables in the skillet and stir to combine.
- Gently mix together the quinoa and vegetables. Check the amount of salt and pepper and add more if needed.