For years, any food that was rolled up always gave me the impression that it was complicated and difficult to make. Then I tried a pumpkin roll. It’s really quite easy, and it makes a great fall dessert. They freeze well, and in the past I have made a couple of these rolls a few weeks before Thanksgiving and frozen them. It’s always nice to have some things prepared ahead of time.
This is a standard pumpkin roll recipe substituting gluten-free flour and adding xanthan gum. I think it will work well with any gluten-free flour mix or regular wheat flour. I used Carol Fenster’s sorghum blend with corn flour.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour mix
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- powdered sugar for dusting the towelFilling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a mixer bowl beat the eggs on high for several minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat until light in color.
- Add the pumpkin and lemon juice. Mix until blended.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add to the pumpkin mixture and mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into a sprayed jelly roll pan. Spread the batter to the edges of the pan and try to even it out. Sprinkle the walnut pieces over the top.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn the cake (walnut side down) onto a towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll the cake and towel lengthwise. Leave it to cool.
- Combine the filling ingredients and beat until smooth. Unroll the cake and spread the filling over the surface.
- Use the towel to help roll the cake back up, but do not roll the towel with the cake as before.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
To freeze it, I wrapped it twice with plastic wrap and once with wax paper. I then put two rolls together and put a zip lock bag on each end (they didn’t fit into one bag).