This pumpkin poke cake recipe comes from my friend Danielle McKinney. The cake is moist and delicious. She used melted chocolate chips to pour into the poked holes (hence the name poke cake). You could use a chocolate sauce if you prefer. Or, mixing the chocolate chips into the cake batter would probably work too.
The meringue and caramel topping are optional. Honey is the only sweetener Daniel uses on the specific carbohydrate diet, but the honey flavor can be quite strong when used in the cake, meringue, and caramel. If you can tolerate it, you might try using other sweeteners such as coconut palm sugar.
If you can tolerate dairy, this caramel topping recipe would be delicious (it’s not paleo, though).
This cake is inspired by a Betty Crocker pumpkin cake, but it’s made without the wheat flour and sugar. You can eat it as is or top with meringue frosting and caramel sauce – a delicious combination for the holidays. Take this to a holiday party and you’ll have to fight off the gluten-eating crowd!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted) or butter (softened)
- ¼ cup melted chocolate (I use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease an 8 x 8 inch pan.
- Blend together pumpkin, honey, softened butter, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes, or until cake pulls back from the pan’s edges and springs back lightly when pressed.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. Using wooden spoon, make holes in the cake and pour in melted chocolate.
- Let cake cool completely. If desired, top with meringue and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Danielle is married to Ryan and is the happy mom of baby Rory and a turtle named Grimace. She has been successfully following the specific carbohydrate diet since 2011 to treat Crohn’s Disease and loves to cook and bake items that are delicious and healthy!