When it comes to New Year’s Eve parties, I’m usually thinking about an appetizer I can take, and these days, I’m thinking about low-carb appetizers. Traditional pigs in a blanket are wrapped in breading. (Here’s my gluten-free version.)
The British typically use cocktail sausages rather than hot dogs, and instead of wrapping them in a dough, they wrap them in bacon. I love the bacon idea! And of course, hot dogs would work with that idea too.
Whatever you use, just be sure to read the ingredients and confirm that it’s gluten free. Either choice is a processed food and not something I eat all the time, but I do buy organic beef hot dogs for my kids to eat occasionally. Applegate makes organic hot dogs and smoky cocktail franks (found at Wegman’s in my area).
- 1 package cocktail sausages (about 12 ounces)
- 1 package bacon
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Cut the bacon strips into thirds.
- Wrap each sausage in a piece of bacon and place it on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the bacon is cooked.
- Remove the sausages to a paper towel lined plate and serve