These peanut butter pretzels dipped in chocolate are a delicious crowd-pleasing snack. They’re awfully cute too! They would make a tasty Olympic watching treat.
I found this idea on Pinterest a while ago and recently added it to my gluten-free snacks and appetizers board. The pin was linked to Two Tiny Kitchens, but it didn’t even originate there. I took the idea and used gluten-free pretzels along with the peanut butter filling that I used for my Easter bunnies.
I’ve been using the combination of chocolate and peanut butter a lot this year. It started with my peanut butter cups. Then I used it for homemade Easter candy and Easter bunnies. The chocolate dipping idea was used for chocolate covered strawberries.
I have to admit that these peanut butter pretzels are simple to make, but they do take time. It’s worth the effort, though, especially for a special occasion.
- Gluten-free pretzels (I used Glutino)
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Mix together the peanut butter, powdered sugar, and salt with a wooden spoon or spatula. Then knead it with your hands until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Roll a small amount of peanut butter mixture into a ball then press it between two pretzels. Use as much or little as you like. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave according to package instructions. Or, put them in a microwave safe dish and heat on 50% power for 1½ minutes. Stir, and heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Dip about half of each pretzel sandwich into the chocolate. Let it drip, then place it on the baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet into the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is chilled and hard. I put mine in the freezer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.