I’m not exaggerating when I say that these are the best soft Paleo Apple Bars. I love the soft texture along with the crunch of walnuts. I also love the tart apple flavor wrapped in a nutty cinnamon flavor. In my opinion, they’re perfect.
These bars could almost be called a cake, but I always feel like cake requires frosting or at least some sort of topping. Bars can be eaten as they are, but these would also be great with a little ice cream alongside them.
I use unsweetened ingredients in this recipe (shredded coconut, applesauce, and almond butter), but I added half a cup of honey. It ends up a little on the sweet side for me, but I don’t eat much sugar. You could try adjusting the amount of honey or adding another sweetener depending on whether you want them more or less sweet. They can work for dessert, breakfast, or snack.
The bars are moist (another thing I love about them), so any that aren’t eaten right away should be refrigerated, at least during hot weather.
These Apple Bars are a modified version of my Pumpkin Breakfast Bars (which aren’t just for breakfast). I know that pumpkin spice things are popping up all over the place, but I’m not quite ready for pumpkin just yet. I’ve been getting apples in my CSA box and want to fully enjoy apple season before starting on pumpkin. 🙂
- 1 cup almond flour (I use Honeyville brand)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I use Let's Do Organic brand)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons soft coconut oil (I use Tropical Traditions brand)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium apple, diced small (about 1¼ cups)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the applesauce, almond butter, honey, coconut oil, and eggs. Beat with a mixer until everything is incorporated.
- Stir in the diced apple, walnuts, and flax seeds.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.