If you can tolerate gluten-free oats, then these overnight oats are a delicious and easy on-the-go meal. One of my kids has been using this recipe for the past year to eat as a late morning snack while he’s at work. He’s traveling around most of the day and is unable to heat food, so cold, easy to eat meals or snacks are the way to go.
He can tolerate dairy, so he boosts the protein content with Greek yogurt and my favorite protein powder—collagen hydrolysate. (You can read more about it here.) Frozen wild blueberries are his favorite easy way to add fruit.
I’ve been holding onto this recipe, and decided that with school starting up soon, it is a perfect time to share it. Overnight oats are not cooked. You combine the ingredients and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator. The oats soften as they sit, and the texture is just like cooked oatmeal.
Since you don’t cook it, overnight oats are a great way to make breakfast the night before. Then kids (or you) can grab their breakfast from the refrigerator in the morning. Or, as my son does, you can pack this oatmeal as a school or work snack.
Now, I must touch on oats for a minute. Pure oats are gluten free, BUT some people still cannot tolerate them. So you should add them to your diet with caution. If that’s you, then I’m sorry, but this recipe is not for you. I don’t know of a substitute to use, but if you come up with one, let me know.
If you do eat oats, be sure to buy certified gluten-free oats such as Cream Hill Estates Lara’s Rolled Oats. Non certified oats are often highly contaminated with gluten.
- ½ cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute
- 2 teaspoons honey or sweetener of choice (or amount to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of salt
- regular or Greek yogurt (~2 Tablespoons)
- protein powder such as collagen hydrolysate (~1 Tablespoon)
- small pieces of fresh or frozen fruit
- small dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries
- Combine all ingredients in a jar or container. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- If using fruit, place it on top after mixing the other ingredients.