I love this slow cooker meatloaf and potatoes recipe and use it often. Meatloaf can easily be made gluten-free, and if you combine it with potatoes in a slow cooker, then most of the meal cooks at one time. This meatloaf recipe can also be baked in the oven. Take a look at my meatloaf tips and tricks to learn how I cut the baking time.
Since the potatoes are placed on the bottom of the crock, they cook in the meatloaf juice. Choose a lower lean beef so the potatoes don’t absorb too much fat. I’m not a fan of 90% lean ground beef because I think it lacks flavor. 80-85% lean is my choice for this dish.
I use gluten-free instant potato flakes in this recipe because it’s easier than using bread crumbs, but if you have gluten-free bread crumbs you want to use, then go right ahead.
- 6 – 8 medium red or gold potatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup gluten-free instant potatoes
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Peel or scrub the potatoes and cut them into one inch size chunks.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of a greased slow cooker and add the water.
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. I use my stand mixer on low speed to combine everything.
- Place the meatloaf on top of the potatoes and shape into an oval (or whatever shape your slow cooker is) so it mostly covers the potatoes.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and spread it evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours or until the meatloaf and potatoes are both cooked through.