I always enjoy my friend Danielle’s recipes, and this one is no exception. These grain-free goodies would be a nice addition to a Memorial Day cookout.
A guest post by Danielle McKinney
These mini lemon poppy seed cupcakes are gluten free and grain free and legal for the specific carbohydrate diet. They are light and zesty–perfect for a backyard barbeque or picnic. For a sweeter taste, top with your favorite frosting!
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or butter)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Make sure the coconut flour is free of lumps. If necessary, sift before combining.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, honey, grapeseed oil, lemon zest, and orange extract.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet and stir in poppy seeds.
- Put 1 Tablespoon of batter into a lined mini-muffin cup. Sprinkle with additional poppy seeds if desired, and bake at 350° for 8 minutes or until springy and a toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
Danielle is married to Ryan and is the happy mom of baby Rory and a turtle named Grimace. She has been successfully following the specific carbohydrate diet since 2011 to treat Crohn’s Disease and loves to cook and bake items that are delicious and healthy!