I really love my chocolate nut butter date balls, but they contain oats. These days I’m eating grain free except for special occasions. I would like to enjoy date balls more than a few times a year, so I adapted the recipe to be grain free.
I’ve also cut way back on sugar of any kind, so I often omit the honey and add a little extra water to moisten them. You could also try using stevia or another sweetener of choice.
These date balls contain cocoa powder and nut butter. I love the classic chocolate and peanut butter combination, but with two people in my family having an intolerance for peanuts, I go with cashew butter.
The nice thing about date balls is that you can throw in whatever ingredients you like just being sure to keep it the right consistency for making balls. With no cooking involved, these grain free date balls are a perfect summer treat.
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¾ cup natural nut butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (or coating of choice)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until the dates are smooth. The mixture should be crumbly but hold together when pressed into a ball.
- Use about 1½ teaspoons of mixture to form a ball, pressing and rolling it with your palms.
- Roll each ball in the shredded coconut or coating of choice.
- Chill before serving.