Today I want to let you know about an opportunity for you to learn more about celiac disease and gluten intolerance. HealthNOW is hosting the second annual Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac Forum event in Palo Alto, California. It takes place Saturday, October 16 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. They have some great speakers lined up, and I know the event will be very informative and educational. If you live near Palo Alto, and even if you don’t, you should consider attending. The speakers include:
- Dr. Rodney Ford, director of The Children’s Clinic in New Zealand
- Dr. Vikki Petersen, co-founderof the HealthNOW Medical Center and co-author of “The Gluten Effect”.
- Dr. Tom O’Bryan, a practicing graduate of the Institute For Functional Medicine’s hallmark program Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice
- Cynthia Kupper, Registered Dietitian and the Executive Director of Gluten Intolerance Group
A few of the topics they will be covering are:
- A brand new laboratory test for gluten sensitivity.
- How gluten causes a vast array of hormonal problems and degenerative diseases.
- What is a nutritious gluten-free diet?
- Whether gluten is potentially harmful to everyone.
There will be over 20 local vendors sampling delicious and exclusively gluten-free food including French bread, ravioli, cupcakes, cream puffs, biscotti, pies and more. Additionally, there will be many giveaways at the event including gluten-free goodie filled baskets from Kinnikinnick and Trader Joe’s, copies of The Gluten Effect, free consultations with the doctors and more.
Tickets are $40 in advance and $50 at the door and include a light lunch. Visit the Health Now Medical Center site for more information.
Dr. Vikki Petersen (one of the forum speakers) and Dr. Richard Peterson are authors of the book The Gluten Effect: How “Innocent” Wheat is Ruining Your Health.
The chapters are divided into five sections:
- Why All the Sudden Interest in Gluten
- Is Gluten the Hidden Culprit Behind Your Symptoms?
- The Mainstream Gluten Disorders
- Other Gluten Related Disorders
- Finding and Eliminating the Cause
I haven’t yet read this book, but I plan to. I think it will be informative and I’m particularly interested in reading about the other gluten related disorders (with family and friends in mind). You can preview and buy The Gluten Effectat Amazon. You can also enter to win a copy of it here!
To enter, leave a comment on this post. You must leave separate comments for each entry. Please make sure I have a way to contact you. Up to four entries per person:
- Tell me why you (or someone in your house) eat gluten free.
- Subscribe to my feed via RSS or email (or tell me you already do)
- Like me on Facebook (or tell me you already do)
- Follow me on Twitter (or tell me you already do)
You must be a U.S. or Canadian resident to win. The giveaway will end on Tuesday, October 5th at 11:00 p.m. eastern time. I will notify the winner by email and will announce the winner on my Facebook page.
Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy of this book. The opinions in this post are my own.