Labor Day weekend my family left me to go camping. Some of you are wondering why I didn’t go. I have done my share of camping, including a 4 week cross country trip, but not this time. Let me just say, there were 10 men & boys, dirt bikes, guns, and no bathrooms. What would you have done? Besides, one of my dogs had a sprained leg, and it would have been torture to take him but not let him run.
Anyway, I wanted to make some granola bars they could snack on that wouldn’t be full of sugar. As is often the case, I combined ingredients and techniques from different recipes. I was very happy with how they turned out. I made two batches and put some in the freezer to have for quick gluten-free snacks.
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup nuts
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup nut butter
- ¾ cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup small or chopped dried fruit
- Combine the oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, nuts, flax seeds, and salt in a food processor and process until well mixed and in small pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the nut butter, honey or agave nectar, and vanilla. Pour this over the ingredients in the large bowl and stir to evenly coat.
- Stir in the dried fruit.
- Place everything in a greased jelly roll pan and pat it down with a spatula or greased fingers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.