Flourless Chocolate Cake
Author: Linda Etherton
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Earth Balance buttery sticks, or butter
- 1 cup sugar (see note)
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 4 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit a 9 – 10 inch spring form pan. Grease the bottom and sides of the pan. Put the parchment paper in the bottom and grease the top of the paper.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips and butter (or substitute). Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift in the cocoa and stir just until blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until the cake is just firm in the center.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan, invert it onto a plate, remove the bottom of the pan and the parchment paper. Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Stir in the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla. Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the glaze onto the center of the cooled cake and spread it with a spatula over the top and down the sides.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least one hour to set the glaze.
You can add up to ½ cup more sugar if you want a very sweet cake. As is, the cake is mildly sweet.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/flourless-chocolate-cake/