Author: Linda Etherton
Recipe type: Dessert
- ¼ cup Spectrum organic shortening (or butter)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or butter)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup potato flour (not potato starch)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Cream together the shortening, coconut oil, and sugar.
- Add the egg, extract, and milk. Mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add them to the ingredients in the mixing bowl. Mix together well.
- Use a spatula to scrape all the dough out of the bowl onto plastic wrap. Cover and chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Divide the dough in half and place on a pastry mat or silicone baking mat. Cover it with a piece of plastic wrap and roll to about ⅛ inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out dough shapes.
- Use a spatula to transfer the dough to an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 5 – 8 minutes (depending on thickness). Keep a close eye on them because the edges will brown quickly.
- Makes about 30 two-inch cookies.
Recipe by The Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/sugar-cookies/