Pumpkin Sheet Cake (gluten, dairy, & soy free)
Author: Linda Etherton
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3/4 cup shortening or butter (I use Spectrum organic shortening)
- 1 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (or pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Cream together the shortening and sugar for a couple of minutes until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for several minutes until fluffy.
- Combine the dry ingredients (sorghum flour through ginger) and add alternately with the pumpkin.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Spread in the bottom of a greased 11 x 15 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting.
Toasting nuts brings out their flavor. Before chopping, place them in a pan (I use a cake pan) and put in a 350° oven about 5 minutes. Be careful not to leave them too long as they will burn quickly.
Recipe by The Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/pumpkin-sheet-cake-gluten-dairy-soy/