Spaghetti Sauce From Scratch
Recipe type: Main
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 pounds ground beef or sausage
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Boil the tomatoes for one minute, then immediately put into ice water. Once cool, remove and peel the skin.
- Slice the tomatoes from the top down several times and remove the seeds.
- Remove the stem, chop the tomatoes, and put them in a colander to drain.
- Sauté the ground beef or sausage. When it is halfway done, add the onions and garlic to soften them up. Drain.
- Add everything except the wine to your slow cooker and stir to mix.
- Cover it and cook on high 3 – 3 1/2 hours or low 6 – 6 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the wine, turn the cooker to high if you had it on low, and cook another 30 minutes. Remove the lid during this time if the sauce is too thin.
Recipe by The Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/spaghetti-sauce-from-scratch/